Here is a fantastic salad that, in our opinion, can do no wrong. A delicious Italian salad! The fresh lettuce, garlic croutons, and spicy pepperoncini add just the proper amount of crunch and flavor. The Italian vinaigrette on top packs a powerful herbal punch and really brings out the other flavors. The finishing touch is fresh shaved Parmesan. It’s a versatile companion for any activity. It’s no secret that this is not a traditional Italian recipe but rather a firmly Italian-American one. But that’s exactly why this simple salad is so great.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6
Ingredients for a delicious Italian salad
You could have tried a similar salad at an Italian American eatery. Each each part contributes to the whole, yet also functions independently. What you’ll need for the ultimate Italian salad is…, if you want the finest salad ever
- Use a mix of crunchy greens, such as romaine and butter lettuce, to keep things interesting.
- Tomatoes and red onions add color and texture.
- The saline, acidic, and spicy flavors of olives and pepperoncini are what really give this salad the classic “Italian salad” feel. Keep it in!
- Shavings of Parmesan (optional): Thick slices of Parmesan provide a savory contrast; they can be left out entirely for a vegan salad.
- The homemade Italian dressing adds a special kick to the dish.
- Crunchy, garlicky, and well worth the effort, croutons are a great addition to any meal.
Italian salad dressing tips and tricks
Tips for making the perfect Italian salad dressing! This is a quick and easy dressing that is a family favorite. Obtaining a good emulsion is all that’s required. When the olive oil and vinegar emulsify, rather than separate, you get an emulsion. Here’s a reminder:
- Find a bowl that falls somewhere in the middle. If you try to make an emulsion with a whisk and a basin that is too tiny, you will not be successful.
- A tablespoon at a time, add the oil. Add the oil a little at a time, whisking constantly. That’s the ideal complement to it!
Why bother with handmade croutons?
Everyone can’t make their own croutons from scratch. However, they are simple to prepare and add a new dimension to this Italian salad. It’s a fantastic method for reviving slightly stale bread. Only 15 minutes of baking time (including oven preheating time) is required. The enormous crunch and garlicky flavor are well worth the effort. There’s more reason than ever to manufacture things from scratch! They don’t use any artificial flavors or colors, and the salt content is just right.
The croutons can be prepared ahead of time as well. Keep them in a sealed jar on the counter until ready to serve. They’re good for approximately a week, but at their peak when they’re fresh. For a gluten-free salad, you can omit it without sacrificing flavor.
Methods of presenting Italian salad
You can’t go wrong serving this Italian salad alongside pizza and spaghetti. It’s so versatile, you can use it as a main course! What we suggest is as follows:
- Make the salad the main course. Throw in some chopped chicken, tuna, white beans, or hard-boiled eggs.
- Pair with a pizza meal. This is our go-to preparation! Experiment with a Margherita, Pan, Eggplant, Flatbread, Best Healthy, or Homemade Cheese pizza.
- To complement lasagna. Whether you’re vegan or just like a little heat, you’ll love our lasagnas.
- Prepare with spaghetti. Pair it with some Pasta Primavera, Roasted Eggplant Pasta, or Roasted Cauliflower Pasta for a delicious meal.
- Combine with soup for a satisfying meal. You might also try the Vegetarian Tortellini Soup or the Pasta e Ceci (Italian Chickpea Soup).
.Vegetarian. You can make this dish vegan, vegetarian, and dairy-free by omitting the Parmesan cheese. If you need to avoid gluten, skip the croutons.
- Half a Recipe of Homemade Croutons (Store-Bought Is Fine, or Leave Them Out If You’re Gluten-Free)
- one dish Italian Dressing Made From Scratch
- Three cups (1 romaine heart)
- Butter lettuce, 5 cups
- 1 small bunch of red onion, sliced
- 1/4 of an onion, chopped
- Black olives, cut (or halved) to make a half cup
- a half cup of sliced pepperoncini from a jar
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan shreds (vegans, skip this step)
- Prepare handmade croutons, or prepare them ahead of time.
- Organize the Italian salad dressing.
- Prepare romaine and lettuce by chopping it. Cut the red onion into thin slices. Halve the tomatoes.
- To serve, divide the greens among bowls and top with the veggies, olives, pepperoncini, Parmesan shavings, croutons, and dressing. Alternately, you can combine everything in a huge serving bowl and mix with the dressing. (If preparing ahead of time, store all but the croutons at room temperature in separate containers in the fridge. Dressing should be served at room temperature.
DOWNLOAD THIS ARTICLE + RECIPE IN PDF FORMAT.