This Apple Bread recipe is perfect for the cooler months because it’s full of comforting spices and tart apple flavor. You won’t believe how easy and fast this recipe is to make, and once it’s in the oven, the aroma will make your mouth water. Its tender, buttery, moist crumb and wonderfully crisp crust make it the perfect choice for either breakfast or a snack.
This apple bread recipe is a must if you have any apples lying around the house. This bread is simple to throw together, using only ingredients you already have on hand. You can almost eat this quick bread as is, because it’s so tender and moist. This recipe doesn’t call for yeast and can be made with basic kitchen tools.
Warm apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg flavors permeate every bite of this buttery apple cinnamon loaf. The chopped walnuts aren’t required, but they do add a nice crunch and flavor.
Ingredients for this dish
- To avoid a mealy texture in the finished product, use a firm, crisp apple. Use a sweet or tart apple, depending on your taste. Incorporating the apple’s shredded flavor into the bread is one of my favorite parts of making apple bread. If you don’t have a box grater, dice the apple.
- Flour; this apple bread recipe calls for no special ingredients. You can use regular flour instead.
- Sugar — white or brown sugar will do in a pinch. For the best texture, moisture, and flavor, however, you should use both sugars.
- This bread recipe calls for both baking soda and baking powder as leavening agents. Make sure your leavening agents haven’t passed their use-by date before baking bread.
- The apples really bring out the cinnamon and nutmeg’s warm spices.
- Butter — If you don’t want your bread to have a salty aftertaste, use unsalted butter.
- ▢1 large apple peeled and cored (such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp)
- ▢1½ cups all-purpose flour (180g)
- ▢½ cup granulated sugar plus more for sprinkling (100g)
- ▢½ cup packed light brown sugar (110g)
- ▢¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ▢½ teaspoon baking soda
- ▢¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ▢¼ teaspoon salt
- ▢¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ▢2 large eggs beaten
- ▢½ cup unsalted butter melted (120ml)
- ▢½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans optional (60g)
A TUTORIAL ON MAKING APPLE BREAD
- First, grate the apple on a cheese grater with the largest holes. You could also dice the apple. Putting aside.
- Mix the flour, sugars (both white and brown), spices (salt, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder), and liquid ingredients (eggs) in a medium bowl.
- Eggs and butter should be added in step 3.
- mix thoroughly by stirring.
- Throw in the chopped apple and optional nuts.
- mix thoroughly by stirring.
- Pour into a greased and parchment-lined 8-by-4-inch loaf pan and smooth the top.
- If you like, sprinkle some more granulated sugar on top. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack after baking for 55–65 minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it cool for another half an hour.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE LIKE A PRO
- Apple bread will turn out tough and chewy if the batter is overmixed. If you want to avoid lumps in your batter, don’t use a mixer. All you need is a spatula.
- When measuring flour, use a scale. The end result will be more precise if you do it this way. Fluff your flour with a spoon, then spoon it into your cups, and level it off with a knife if you don’t have a scale. A heavy loaf can be avoided by not overfilling the measuring cup with flour.
- There should be no chill on the eggs. Eggs at room temperature blend in easily and quickly, preventing the need for excessive mixing. If you forget to bring the eggs out, you can warm them in a large bowl of hot tap water for 5 minutes.
- Loaf pan preparation requires parchment paper lining. The bread will not stick to the parchment paper, and the loaf can be removed from the pan without breaking.
- The heat distribution from various loaf pans varies. Using a glass or ceramic pot or pan is not something I recommend doing. If you decide to go this route, baking time will need to be monitored closely.
- Apple bread should be left in the loaf pan until it has completely cooled. If you let the loaf cool in the pan, it will firm up. If you cut into it too soon, the bread will crumble as well.
- On the platter is apple bread, already sliced into three pieces. Background apples.
Where should I put my stale bread?
Wrapped well, apple bread can be stored in the fridge for up to five days.
Can this dish be frozen?
Bread, whether in its entirety or in individual slices wrapped in plastic, can be frozen for up to three months if stored properly.
Download This Article + Recipe in PDF Format.